TrueNAS SCALE 22.12.1 has been released!

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
What is the reasoning behind that? I mean, the very reason for hosting containerized applications on a NAS is to have file sharing access while simultaneously mounting the dataset into a container. This is never a problem on CORE and with jails. And NFS is not a substitute for a local mount. The file system semantics are completely different.
Badly behaved Linux Apps can change ZFS files and permissions and overwrite data.... its only an issue if you also want to SMB/NFS access the data from a client as well.

NugentS

MVP
But couldn't badly behaved FreeBSD apps change ZFS files and permissions and overwrite data as well? Or would a freebsd app not dare to behave badly?
:cool:

But couldn't badly behaved FreeBSD apps change ZFS files and permissions and overwrite data as well? Or would a freebsd app not dare to behave badly?
The six apps that are ported to FreeBSD don't do anything interesting (one is "clock," another is "calculator") so there's nothing to worry about. :grin:

billbillw

Dabbler
Fair to say I'm a newb to FreeNAS. After years of running Proxmox with ubuntu containers, I am used to running updates with command line: apt update>apt upgrade or sometimes apt full-upgrade.

With TrueNAS Scale, I'm seeing this update available. It has download updates, install pending update and Manual Install Update File as options.

What is the preferred method of installing this update? I'm leaning to the install pending update. Let me know if that is incorrect or less preferred.

danb35

Hall of Famer

billbillw

Dabbler
Fair to say I'm a newb to FreeNAS. After years of running Proxmox with ubuntu containers, I am used to running updates with command line: apt update>apt upgrade or sometimes apt full-upgrade.

With TrueNAS Scale, I'm seeing this update available. It has download updates, install pending update and Manual Install Update File as options.

What is the preferred method of installing this update? I'm leaning to the install pending update. Let me know if that is incorrect or less preferred.
Update installed. No issues to report. It was painless.

@Kris Moore has explained on reddit some time ago, that this was always the case on CORE/FreeNAS. Why it is suddenly a big deal he didn't, sadly.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
@Kris Moore has explained on reddit some time ago, that this was always the case on CORE/FreeNAS. Why it is suddenly a big deal he didn't, sadly.

There are several major differences:
1. We are trying to make Apps more suitable for businesses/Enterprises than Plugins
2. There are way more Linux Apps and we don't which ones might be poorly behaved - accidentally or deliberately

That being said, we are reviewing the policy.... will communicate more when we reach a conclusion.

tprelog

Patron
Smooth update from 22.12.0 -> 22.12.1

I've only noticed one small regression with virtual macines... That is when stopping a VM - This pop-up just hangs here with a message Fetching data..., even after the VM has successfully stopped. In previous versions, this box would update with a message and an OK button after the VM shutdown.

1677332181380.png

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Smooth update from 22.12.0 -> 22.12.1

I've only noticed one small regression with virtual macines... That is when stopping a VM - This pop-up just hangs here with a message Fetching data..., even after the VM has successfully stopped. In previous versions, this box would update with a message and an OK button after the VM shutdown.

View attachment 63948
Please Report a Bug.

JohnnyD

Dabbler
Upgraded main and backup machines here with no issues from 22.12.0

sybreeder

Explorer
Will new version work well with Active Directory ? Previous don't work properly.

NugentS

MVP
Seems to work just fine. The workarounds that I was using do not seem to be required any longer

sybreeder

Explorer
Seems to work just fine. The workarounds that I was using do not seem to be required any longer
What workarounds have you been using?

NugentS

MVP
I was running
Code:
midclt call dscache.refresh -job
every few hours as a cron job

opensourcefan

Dabbler
Updated last night, it hung on extracting at 50% for about an hour then jumped to 90% post install tasks and hung there for a good while. Upon first reboot no apps would start. Deleted the token and rebooted, Storj started but Photoprism still hasn't gone active, stuck on deploying.

First update I've had issues with, a little concerned now as I don't want to disrupt my Storj experiment with down time.

Baremetal install on a R730

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Updated last night, it hung on extracting at 50% for about an hour then jumped to 90% post install tasks and hung there for a good while. Upon first reboot no apps would start. Deleted the token and rebooted, Storj started but Photoprism still hasn't gone active, stuck on deploying.

First update I've had issues with, a little concerned now as I don't want to disrupt my Storj experiment with down time.

Baremetal install on a R730
Let us know if it persists... can you check that Internet connectivity is solid to Github etc.

opensourcefan

Dabbler
Let us know if it persists... can you check that Internet connectivity is solid to Github etc.
The issue with Photoprism for whatever reason was due to an SMB share being active on it's mnt directories. I temporarily disabled the SMB share, and cycled the container and it started immediately. Turned the share back on and all is well.

Curious what happened?

danb35

Hall of Famer