Suggestions on sharing large data over internet

rwslippey

Contributor
I know this has probably been asked a million times but I'm in a little bit of a weird situation.

I run a small business and I need to share large video files with an editor we're on-boarding. Currently, since I work from home, I archive video on my TrueNAS. I'm in the local network and use NFS or SMB, as required to accomplish what I need. Due to time constraints I've been unable to do some editing on this video for advertising purposes so, I'm turning to an external editor. This will be a freelance position, so we don't own this person's hardware (computer).

So I need a reliable and relatively easy way to allow this person to access just a single share of our video archives (not all my other data but I can figure that part out). As I said these are large files.... think 6 hours of video footage in a single file.

Something easy is a must as we're not too sure how tech savy these people will be and it may not be the same person initially every time, until we find that one editor that we might stick with.

I've considered NextCloud/Owncloud and I just don't see it as the right solution for what we're doing. We wouldn't use any of the other features and it's quite heavy in my experience. I've run it before and found it just wasn't practical for our use case and I don't think it'd be practical now either.

I do currently run wireguard for my own VPN usage but I think that configuration might be a pain if we were changing editors regularly, plus I'm not really in a position to be able to open that up to everyone as it dumps into my own vlan currently (giving me access to everything.... not an ideal security measure but I'm not ready to give that to anyone yet)

Finally, I've considered and it's front running, Syncthing. I currently use Syncthing for a lot as it is, so it seemed pretty logical.
The only real problem with Syncthing is if I share the share, it's going to send them everything, which is a large bit of data, containing multiple video sets. There really isn't a way for them to see a library and pull down only what they need, so quite a bit of wasted data transfer. Ideally, SFTP would work, but configuration would be a pain on client side as we don't own the freelancer's computer.

I'm curious if anyone has any other ideas or suggestions that I may have missed? In an ideal world, I would open up the video archive dataset for them to access and they can pull just the source video they need and have a separate directory to drop any resulting work they do. Syncthing kind of takes that away in this case.

Davvo

MVP
Point is, if you don't know what file your editor needs you can't compart it.
VPN and ACL look the easiest/best solution to me. You also have SSH too but it's more complex.

sretalla