TrueNAS Scale and B560 motherboards

Almazar80

Cadet
I am building a home server using an Asus B560M-A motherboard. The latest version of Core installed without a hitch and everything works well (with an HP 560SFP+ NIC). I decided to try installing Scale RC and it won't install properly. It appears that Linux is having problems installing properly with the B560 based motherboards. One can make it install properly (the problem might be with the video driver not working properly, the workaround is modifying grub parameters to force recognition of the built in video), but it's been a bear. Besides, the kernel fixes for latest version of the kernel (5.12 and above) do not have the patches that are now built in into version 5.11 of the kernel. I don't like having to muck around to make something work, an update can always break it again. When can one reasonably expect this to be a non problem? I know it's mostly a Linux kernel problem, but all products derived from Linux (including all the major Linux distros) are affected by their inability to work with the B560 chipset (without some modification). Hopefully, a permanent fix happens in the kernels so that when the next version of TrueNAS comes out, this will not be a problem.