SOLVED Three Different Supermicro Board No Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cadet
Please advise...this is going to be long. It's been a long 4 weeks.

For the past few years I've been enjoying my diy FreeNAS build consisting of an asrock b75 mini-itx board, core i3 cpu, four 4tb hds (later added four more 2tb drives) and 16gb memory . This has been working flawlessly with no issues what so ever. I've been running about 15 jails with no issues. Even plex runs perfect for me and not sluggish or slow at all. My file transfer speeds are always above 100mbs on average. So what's the problem? Well after a couple of years of reading about going with dedicated server hardware and how crazy it is to run non-ecc memory, I decided to finally upgrade everything and even expand my storage to 8 6tb hard drives.

I decided to start off with older hardware to get my feet wet. So I bought a used supermicro x9scl, 16gb hynix 1333 ecc memory, xeon 1220v2(along with a g620 in case I had to upgrade the firmware) and a dell h310 hba. I also decided to go with mirrored 16gb ssds for boot, and 3 64gb ssd in raidz for the jails.

I was excited to get it all together to see what I've been missing for the past few years given I was already really happy with FreeNAS and the performance I was getting compared to dropping 4 figures on a consumer nas.

Well, I couldn't get the first x9scl to boot. I got a black screen with no error beep codes. This is whether I used the 1220v2 or the g620. I did all troubleshooting I could think of. Tested each memory stick individually. I even called tech support who basically had me to redo everything I already tried. I even tried different power supplies with the smallest one being a seagate platinum fanless 400watt one. Tech support told me with was the board which I feared since it's hard to fathom all 4 memory sticks being bad and the fact that I wasn't getting error codes even after changing the jumper for the on board speaker and using my own.

So I sent that board back and got another x9scl. This time, things where different. But still no luck getting the board to boot. But I was getting error codes. So with using the 1220v2 I got the 4 beeps which told me the either the cpu was bad or the firmware wasn't upgraded to ivy bridge. So then I popped in the g620. This time after about 10 seconds, I got the 5 short beeps followed by a long beep which usually means a memory problem. So again I tested each memory stick individually and still got the same error code. At this point I was very perplexed. Hard to think four memory sticks were bad. But I bought another set of memory, but also hung on the the 4 4gb hynix memory. I ended up getting 4 sticks of 8gb 1066 kingston memory. After installing, I got the same memory error. So now I'm thinking, it must be another bad board since I know the g620 cpu is good. It works in my old asrock b75 board.

The last thing I did was get a x9scm board. And with it I'm still getting the same memory error beeps. So three boards, two different sets of quad memory, two cpus and I still can't get either board to boot. Yes, I unplugged everything but the bare minimum. Even did the eraser thingy to the memory connectors. So now I just don't know what to do. Am I missing something? Please help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Bad power?

Stux

MVP
You're using UDIMMS and not RDIMMS right?

Cadet
You're using UDIMMS and not RDIMMS right?
I didn't even thing to check because both sets were advertized as udimm ecc memory. I just looked at the actually model number of both sets and they both are rdimm. So I've been had by this particular ebay seller. All this time I've had two sets of rdimm and didn't think to check if they actually were udimm. Thanks for pointing that out. That's what I get for letting my guard down when it comes to ebay lol.

Cadet
I still think the first board was defective though. It didn't give any error codes at all, i even tried using my own speaker and bypassed the built in one.

Inxsible

Guru
Ooh !! I have the exact same board that I am currently using as a pfSense router. I intend to use it for my FreeNAS, once I run out of space in my current one and upgrade to a 24 bay rackmount chassis. When I bought it off craigslist, I made sure it POSTS at the seller's house. Then after buying it, I updated the BIOS and IPMI just so that I'd have everything updated. Then installed pfSense on it.

I am looking forward to eventually getting a 3U chassis to transplant everything into.

Scorm

Dabbler
Now I know how bad the incompatibility is when the circuitry isn't made to support registers in the ECC RAM :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.