System won’t boot after months of operation

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuggs

Dabbler
I am posting because I have never experienced anything quite like this, and don’t quite know where to start. Any advice here would be welcome—I built this machine based on advice from this forum, and things have worked beautifully until now.

The situation: this weekend my ZRAID2 volume became degraded due to a disk that just disappeared. The system could not see it at all. This was accompanied by the following system errors:

> (ada4:ahcich4:0:0:0): CAM status: Unconditionally Re-queue Request
> (ada4:ahcich4:0:0:0): Error 5, Periph was invalidated
> GEOM_ELI: Device ada4p1.eli destroyed.
> GEOM_ELI: Detached ada4p1.eli on last close.
> (ada4:ahcich4:0:0:0): Periph destroyed

So, assuming a drive had gone bad, I bought a new one and shut the system down to replace the affected disk. Boom—the system will no longer power on. The motherboard lights indicate that the power is on, and I can connect via IPMI. However, neither the physical power button nor the IPMI power commands will cause the system to power on.

There is an orange light on the motherboard, on LE6. I can’t remember if it was lit back when the system is healthy, and the manual doesn’t give any hint about what it means: http://www.supermicro.com/manuals/motherboard/C224/MNL-1500.pdf

I am at a loss where to go from here. Has anyone experienced something similar? Is it worth trying to call SuperMicro? I have never contacted a board manufacturer, so I don’t quite know what to expect there.

My build:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V3 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SLM+-F-O uATX
Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Power Supply: SeaSonic 450W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply
Storage: 6x 2TB Drives (a bit of a mix of WD drives)
System Disks: Sandisk Cruzer Fit 16GB USB Drive (2x)
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case
UPS: CyberPower CP850PFCLCD PFC Sinewave UPS 850VA 510W

tvsjr

Guru
Orange light should just indicate a standby state. I would suspect either a dodgy PSU or a MB problem... but I'd start with the PSU. Do you have another supply you can toss in there temporarily?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
That sounds very much like maybe the PSU has decided to give it up. Any chance you have a spare?

chuggs

Dabbler
Sorry to necro this thread, but in the interests of helping anyone else seeing something like this I wanted to follow up.

I bought a new power supply based on the advice here, but managed to avoid dealing with this for 11 months thanks to FreeNAS's amazing stability and my battery backup. Since the issue only surfaced after a full power cycle, I could reboot whenever I needed to update the system with no problems.

Last week my wife accidentally powered down the machine and it would not come back up. I replaced the PSU, and the problem disappeared. Many thanks to the folks who took the time to respond to my post.

Status
Not open for further replies.