Network unavailable on fresh boot

karnalta

Dabbler
Hello all,

I have made my TrueNAS Scale build a few weeks ago but I cannot get rid of a network issue.. I have searched everywhere but I am know helpless :(

Problem :

On every fresh boot (NAS is not powered on all time), the network is not working. The NIC is correctly recognized, IP is set, from the NAS perspective, everything is good. But it's unavailable from my LAN. Another strange behavior that seem to be related, is that the local keyboard is also not working, I need to unplug the dongle and plug it back for it to comeback alive. If I reboot the NAS or shut it down only a few second, the issue doesn't produce, it's only on "cold" startup.

My actual workaround :

Sometime, simply unplugging the ethernet cable a few seconds and plug it back do the trick, the NAS become available on LAN there after.
Sometime, I need to unplug/plug the keyboard dongle to get the keyboard back and then enter Linux console and issue the following commands :

Code:
ifconfig <myNic> down
ifconfig <myNic> up
systemctl restart ix-netif.service

What I have tried (without success) :

- Putting the code above in a PreInit or PostInit script.
- Changing various settings in my BIOS.

My setup :

- ASRock H610M ITX
- Intel Core i3-13100
- 64Gb Non-ECC RAM
- LSI HBA Controller (9300-16i)
- An exotic network card Aquantia AQC107 10Gbs on M.2 slot.

I have, of course, suspected my NIC at first but it's always recognized correctly in "lspci" and the fact that the USB keyboard issue is always in sync with the network issue make me feel it's something else. I don't see how the NIC could influence the USB behaviors.

I really hope someone will be able to help me to sort this out :)

Thank you.

chuck32

Guru
- An exotic network card Aquantia AQC107 10Gbs on M.2 slot.
This may be the reason. It could also be related to your power supply. What model do you have?

Hard to tell at this point. Maybe los your network configuration.
The mainboard I assume has an Ethernet port? Any troubles on that end?

karnalta

Dabbler
This may be the reason. It could also be related to your power supply. What model do you have?

Hard to tell at this point. Maybe los your network configuration.
The mainboard I assume has an Ethernet port? Any troubles on that end?
Power supply is a cheap 1U 270W PSU. The system is drawing about 120W.

Network configuration is pretty simple, just a static IP address and gateway + dns to my firewall.

The embedded Eth port on the mainboard is disabled in BIOS but I could enable it for testing purpose and see if issue happen also on this NIC. That's a good test to make.

EDIT

I did the test and the embedded port does not produce this bug. That's good to know but don't help me a lot more.

Last edited:

Fleshmauler

Explorer
I got an AQC113 doing something similar after the latest update, getting the following on boot:
Code:
Mar 15 23:20:49 truenas kernel: atlantic 0000:25:00.0: VPD access failed.  This is likely a firmware bug on this device.  Contact the card vendor for a firmware update
Mar 15 23:20:49 truenas kernel: mpt3sas 0000:2d:00.0: invalid VPD tag 0x00 (size 0) at offset 0; assume missing optional EEPROM

For me the solution is as simply as removing & re-adding the interface to my bridge. Planning to risk updating firmware within the next few weeks. If I HAD to guess, maybe a driver update in the last few months that doesn't play nice with my (our?) current firmware versions.

I'm sitting at firmware-version: 1.3.17 - will see if possible to update firmware. Wish me luck.

Last edited: