Is it really impossible to backup Scale apps to EXTERNAL storage?

sammael

Explorer
Hi,
I recently sold my proxmox server where I ran a docker dedicated vm as I distributed the containers and other vms to 2 truenas scale's, and while it's working perfectly, I cannot help but wonder what would happen if both drives in the mirror the apps run on happen to fail at once. I've searched this forum and reddit, and couldn't find an answer or the answer was generally that it's not possible. I'm not asking about "heavyscript", which I use and successfully used before to restore, but it only works locally.

Sorry if I misunderstood anything during my "research" of how to achieve this, but seems to me that:
- I can't use hostpaths and snapshot/replicate those because of the host path validation doohickey and even if I could I think some apps have hardcoded pvc's
- I can't snapshot the ix-applications dataset, for reasons delving into technobabble beyond my comprehension

So then is my only option to do what I've been doing so far and which takes literal hours to complete for about 30 apps? Which is:
- manually shutting down apps and mounting PVC's and using tar to create an archive which I can then copy to external storage
- manually backing up any databases with pgadmin and mysqlworkbech

IF my above assumptions are correct, I cannot help, but ask:
- How are paying enterprise customers fine with this?
- Are apps not meant to be used in production? (surely something designed to be un-backupable can't be production ready?)
(I realize I can't expect answers about the enterprise side of truenas here, so how much would it cost me to pay for 1 month of ix support so I can ask directly?)

Thanks for any insights

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I can't use hostpaths and snapshot/replicate those because of the host path validation doohickey and even if I could I think some apps have hardcoded pvc's
I don't see how that's correct... nothing stopping the snapshot or replication of a host path used in an app as far as I can see.

I can't snapshot the ix-applications dataset, for reasons delving into technobabble beyond my comprehension
There are already snapshots of those... did you look under zfs list -t snap

sammael

Explorer
There are several apps which won't start with host storage that is also shared shared due to the host path validation and for a good reason, I've seen threads about host path validation "breaking" apps, and to make them start you have to either use pvc or nfs mount for storage, in case of pvc, you can't replicate that as it's not dataset, and in case of nfs mount you can't use that for db storage.

Yes there are many snapshots of the ix-application dataset, however they are local, and afaik from reading other's experiences with trying to snapshot and restore the ix-applications dataset it doesn't work and the data doesn't get restored properly and the apps will not start. I cannot afford to try it myself, because I do not have external backup of the apps in case something breaks.

Last time I tried to set up manual snapshots of ix-applications was when I had spare system to break, it ended up creating about 12000 snapshots in short span of time, and the restore didn't work even just from a local manual snapshot of ix-applications dataset making trying to replicate it externally moot.

I understand all I'm saying is I've read here and there that it doesn't work, but nowhere in documentation is a procedure to backup apps to external storage documented as far as I was able to find, so the random threads about folks trying and finding it not working is all I got. I didn't want to name the thread "How to backup apps externally?" as googling that provides threads of that name with either suggestions of using heavyscript and following discussion how that is local only, or suggestions about replication the whole dataset with following posts saying it doesn't work.

@sretalla I don't know if you personally use any apps, but if you do, what is your backup strategy? Let's say the pool hosting your apps gets corrupted irreversibly, how do you get your data back? I'm not trying to be rude, I am genuinely interested as it is something I am worried about and cannot find valid strategy to backup externally. If you do not use apps, is it because you do not consider the apps system production-ready ?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
There are several apps which won't start with host storage that is also shared shared due to the host path validation and for a good reason, I've seen threads about host path validation "breaking" apps, and to make them start you have to either use pvc or nfs mount for storage, in case of pvc, you can't replicate that as it's not dataset, and in case of nfs mount you can't use that for db storage.
OK for the apps forcing PVC... those fall under the "already have snapshots" category.

You can use heavyscript to create backups (which then also appear as snapshots) which can then be put back into a pool and restored from. https://github.com/Heavybullets8/heavy_script

I think there's some confusion around the validation issue you're making with folks who insist on sharing out their data via SMB and using that same path as a host path in the app... this is where the problem of validation is occurring.

If you don't need to SMB share your app's data in addition to using that data through the app itself, no issue.

@sretalla I don't know if you personally use any apps, but if you do, what is your backup strategy? Let's say the pool hosting your apps gets corrupted irreversibly, how do you get your data back? I'm not trying to be rude, I am genuinely interested as it is something I am worried about and cannot find valid strategy to backup externally. If you do not use apps, is it because you do not consider the apps system production-ready ?
The apps I use don't require me to share anything separately via SMB, so I'm able to use host path and also replicate those paths to other systems.

I'll freely admit to those apps not being mission-critical for me and I haven't really tested the restore process thoroughly, but I don't see how there would be an issue to put things back as they were in a host path and have it continue to work.

sammael

Explorer
You can use heavyscript to create backups (which then also appear as snapshots) which can then be put back into a pool and restored from. https://github.com/Heavybullets8/heavy_script
I already use heavyscript and have daily backups set up locally. This is what I am confused about, I cannot find a documented way to replicate & restore heavyscript snapshots, maybe I'm just too dense to understand it I don't know. When I have time I will set up a test vm with truenas, install few apps and play around with the replication & restoring of ix-applications - I tried this quite a few versions back previously and it didn't work, am I to understand it should now, and is an officially recommended strategy to backup apps?

If you don't need to SMB share your app's data in addition to using that data through the app itself, no issue.
Sadly, I do - I have folks in the household who absolutely refuse to consume media in any other way than browsing the network share manually via total commander and playing the file in the local player.

The apps I use don't require me to share anything separately via SMB, so I'm able to use host path and also replicate those paths to other systems.
If I understand this correctly then, you backup only data not the apps themselves? So in case of a failure, you'd have to manually recreate all the apps with all the settings and assign the restored data as host path? I could set it up like this, the folks who want the network shares be damned, but it still sounds to me like a lot of work in case of actually needing to restore, I mean lots of apps have multitude of custom settings/passwords/ports/proxies/env variables/etc - how do you go about backing this up?

sretalla