WD Purple bad sector

Nanashikun

Dabbler
Hi,
I've been using FreeNas for quite a while now and recently got a new build with 4 6TB WD purple in RAIDZ1. The day before yesterday the short s.m.a.r.t. selftest discovered a bad sector on one of the drives.
I started the whole RMA process and wanted to do a backup of the last changes before the new drive comes.
Here is where I have some issues:
-of course the bad sector had to be where some of the new data is stored (Murphy's law)
-copying of said new data doesn't work since that data is unreadable even though TLER is enabled (7 Seconds)
-shouldn't RAIDZ1 be able to cope with this?
So my question now is what the best course of action would be:
1. wait for the new drive, unplug the damaged drive and backup the last missing file without the broken drive before restoring the raidz1?
2. get FreeNas to remap the broken sector (however that would work) so I can finish my backup
3. I have no clue ;)

I hope somebody can help me

Thanks a whole lot

Regards

Nana

joeschmuck

Old Man
Just to be clear, yes I will be repeating some of what you have said, you have four WD Purple hard drives, only 1 of which has posted a bad sector error.

My comment: Do not disconnect any hard drives yet, figure out why you can't recover all your data first, if possible. A backup is very smart, glad you thought of it and had the capacity elsewhere to store it all.

Run a SMART Long test on all your hard drives to verify that you only have a single drive failure. If that one hard drive was to catch fire and burn up, all your data should still be safe and accessible in a RAID Z1 configuration. If you are having problem accessing some data then you have multiple drive failures or corrupt data. If you pass the SMART Long test for the other drives then is it possible that your data was corrupted because you are using Purple drives which were designed for video content. I'm not saying that is the cause, just pure speculation. If you are not running a weekly SMART Long test on all your drives then you should set one up.

Post the output of the SMART Long Test results for all your hard drives in code brackets. A link in my signature shows you how to run the SMART Tests.

Good Luck, I hope you are able to recover all your data.