Question RE: Replacing a Disk

NASbox

Guru
I am replacing a disk that is getting old, but has not failed, (it is working/in good health) and the pool is healthy.

Is it necessary to offline the old disk before resilvering is complete?

Am I correct that if the replace operation is performed by selecting "Replace" (without Offline), that during the resilver operation there would be no failed/missing drives?
So if a drive (other than the drive being replaced) failed during the resilver operation, the pool would only experience a single drive failure?

Am I correct, that the drive being replaced can still contribute to pool data security during the resilver/replace operation, or would the pool experience 2 drive failures?

Only once the replace operation is complete, would I offline the old drive.

Can someone please advise. Thanks.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Only once the replace operation is complete, would I offline the old drive.
You're correct on everything but this--once the replace operation is complete, the old drive goes offline by itself.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Is it necessary to offline the old disk before resilvering is complete?
No

Am I correct that if the replace operation is performed by selecting "Replace" (without Offline), that during the resilver operation there would be no failed/missing drives?
Yes

So if a drive (other than the drive being replaced) failed during the resilver operation, the pool would only experience a single drive failure?
true

Am I correct, that the drive being replaced can still contribute to pool data security during the resilver/replace operation, or would the pool experience 2 drive failures?
sort-of... together with the existing disk... during resilver it isn't really protecting anything (but the still-online original is).

NASbox

Guru
@danb35, @sretalla thanks very much for the speedy reply - that really helps.

I had a somewhat funky situation that I didn't understand. I replaced anther drive, but forgot to explicitly remove the replaced drive before rebooting. All the drive letter assignments [da0-daX] completely reassigned themselves, and it took a bit of work to find the drive that had been replaced since it had changed it's id. Comments?

sretalla