Critical Alert - Update Failed 9.10.1 to 9.10.1-U1

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeloJunkie

Patron
Ran the 9.10.1-U1 update this morning and after reboot same a CRITICAL error saying that the update failed and to see /data/update.failed for more information. What is weird is that the system shows that it is running the new 9.10.1-U1:

FreeNAS-9.10.1-U1 (ff51a5d)

So I rolled back to 9.10.1 and rebooted the box, everything came up fine. I deleted the 9.10.1-U1 boot and reran the update a second time and the exact same thing happened. It shows that it is running the 9.10.1-U1 update but I still have the critical error under alerts that the update failed.

Not sure where to go from here.

Thanks

Here is my system:

Supermicro Superserver 5028R-E1CR12L
Supermicro X10SRH-CLN4F Motherboard
1 x Intel Xeon E5-2640 V3 8 Core 2.66GHz
4 x 16GB PC4-17000 DDR4 2133Mhz Registered ECC
12 x 4TB HGST HDN724040AL 7200RPM NAS SATA Hard Drives
LSI3008 SAS Controller - Flashed to IT Mode (12.00.02.00)
LSI SAS3x28 SAS Expander
Dual 920 Watt Platinum Power Supplies
16GB USB Thumb Drive for booting
FreeNAS-9.10.1-U1 (ff51a5d)

Code:
Running migrations for api:
- Nothing to migrate.
 - Loading initial data for api.
Installed 0 object(s) from 0 fixture(s)
Running migrations for freeadmin:
- Nothing to migrate.
 - Loading initial data for freeadmin.
Running migrations for vcp:
- Nothing to migrate.
 - Loading initial data for vcp.
Running migrations for support:
- Nothing to migrate.
 - Loading initial data for support.
Running migrations for jails:
- Nothing to migrate.
 - Loading initial data for jails.
Running migrations for plugins:
- Nothing to migrate.
 - Loading initial data for plugins.
Running migrations for sharing:
- Nothing to migrate.
 - Loading initial data for sharing.
Running migrations for account:
 - Migrating forwards to 0024_add_media_user_and_group.
 > account:0024_add_media_user_and_group
 - Migration 'account:0024_add_media_user_and_group' is marked for no-dry-run.
 ! Error found during real run of migration! Aborting.

! Since you have a database that does not support running
 ! schema-altering statements in transactions, we have had
 ! to leave it in an interim state between migrations.

! You *might* be able to recover with:   (migration cannot be dry-run; cannot discover commands)
 ! The South developers regret this has happened, and would
 ! like to gently persuade you to consider a slightly
 ! easier-to-deal-with DBMS (one that supports DDL transactions)
 ! NOTE: The error which caused the migration to fail is further up.
Error in migration: account:0024_add_media_user_and_group
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/manage.py", line 42, in <module>
    execute_from_command_line(sys.argv)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/core/management/__init__.py", line 399, in execute_from_command_line
    utility.execute()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/core/management/__init__.py", line 392, in execute
    self.fetch_command(subcommand).run_from_argv(self.argv)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/core/management/base.py", line 242, in run_from_argv
    self.execute(*args, **options.__dict__)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/core/management/base.py", line 285, in execute
    output = self.handle(*args, **options)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/south/management/commands/migrate.py", line 111, in handle
    ignore_ghosts = ignore_ghosts,
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/south/migration/__init__.py", line 220, in migrate_app
    success = migrator.migrate_many(target, workplan, database)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/south/migration/migrators.py", line 256, in migrate_many
    result = migrator.__class__.migrate_many(migrator, target, migrations, database)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/south/migration/migrators.py", line 331, in migrate_many
    result = self.migrate(migration, database)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/south/migration/migrators.py", line 133, in migrate
    result = self.run(migration, database)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/south/migration/migrators.py", line 114, in run
    return self.run_migration(migration, database)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/south/migration/migrators.py", line 84, in run_migration
    migration_function()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/south/migration/migrators.py", line 60, in <lambda>
    return (lambda: direction(orm))
  File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/../freenasUI/account/migrations/0024_add_media_user_and_group.py", line 14, in forwards
    group.save()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/base.py", line 545, in save
    force_update=force_update, update_fields=update_fields)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/base.py", line 573, in save_base
    updated = self._save_table(raw, cls, force_insert, force_update, using, update_fields)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/base.py", line 654, in _save_table
    result = self._do_insert(cls._base_manager, using, fields, update_pk, raw)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/base.py", line 687, in _do_insert
    using=using, raw=raw)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/manager.py", line 232, in _insert
    return insert_query(self.model, objs, fields, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/query.py", line 1514, in insert_query
    return query.get_compiler(using=using).execute_sql(return_id)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/sql/compiler.py", line 903, in execute_sql
    cursor.execute(sql, params)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/backends/util.py", line 53, in execute
    return self.cursor.execute(sql, params)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/utils.py", line 99, in __exit__
    six.reraise(dj_exc_type, dj_exc_value, traceback)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/backends/util.py", line 53, in execute
  File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/../freenasUI/freeadmin/sqlite3_ha/base.py", line 376, in execute
    execute = Database.Cursor.execute(self, query, params)
django.db.utils.IntegrityError: UNIQUE constraint failed: account_bsdgroups.bsdgrp_group

HeloJunkie

Patron
hummm...I don't see it there...no bug 17794

Mlovelace

Guru
hummm...I don't see it there...no bug 17794
If they uploaded a debug file then that bug report is closed to public view so as not to compromise the poster's system. You could save your config and do a fresh install of 9.10.1-U1 and upload the config to the fresh install.

HeloJunkie

Patron
Thanks Mlovelace...

That makes sense. I just figure since he linked to the bug it would be visible!

Without knowing *why* the update failed, I am not sure I want to down the entire system, do a fresh install, and import the old config just to find that the problem still exists. Since it is a bug, I assume I am not the only one affected and that they will roll out a fix.

My real question is should I roll back to 9.10.1 which was working without issue and wait for the bug to be figured out, or should I stick with 9.10.1-U1 which appears to be working fine and just live with the critical error that does not appear to have actually kept the update from happening.

Mlovelace

Guru
Thanks Mlovelace...

That makes sense. I just figure since he linked to the bug it would be visible!

Without knowing *why* the update failed, I am not sure I want to down the entire system, do a fresh install, and import the old config just to find that the problem still exists. Since it is a bug, I assume I am not the only one affected and that they will roll out a fix.

My real question is should I roll back to 9.10.1 which was working without issue and wait for the bug to be figured out, or should I stick with 9.10.1-U1 which appears to be working fine and just live with the critical error that does not appear to have actually kept the update from happening.
I would say unless there was something in the update that fixed an issue you were having (VMware snapshot, afp update, iscsi lun...) then it wouldn't hurt to wait.

HeloJunkie

Patron
I would say unless there was something in the update that fixed an issue you were having (VMware snapshot, afp update, iscsi lun...) then it wouldn't hurt to wait.

Thanks, none of those things are issues with my current setup so I guess I can roll back to 9.10.1 and wait and see..

Macaroni323

Explorer
I am in much deeper trouble. My system failed on update and now is stuck in "grub rescue>". Now a clue how to proceed. I would imagine that there are many older versions on the USB boot drive that are still bootable but I don't know how to get back there from grub rescue. :(:confused:

Mlovelace

Guru
I am in much deeper trouble. My system failed on update and now is stuck in "grub rescue>". Now a clue how to proceed. I would imagine that there are many older versions on the USB boot drive that are still bootable but I don't know how to get back there from grub rescue. :(:confused:
When the grub windows comes up on reboot you can interrupt and select a previous boot image. I forget off-hand which key to hit (esc/enter/anykey?) but it gives a couple seconds to press the key and says which one.

HeloJunkie

Patron
UPDATE:

Rolled back to FreeNAS-9.10.1 (d989edd) and all is well again, no errors or alerts.

Macaroni323

Explorer
Got the system running by upgrading from 9.10 ISO image. I can see my pools but lost all the users. I have a back up DB file "freenas-FreeNAS-9.10-STABLE-201605240427 (64fcd8e)-20160527233849.db" but the system says failed to upload because a newer version is installed.

Dmitry Nevozhay

Dabbler
I have the same issue after upgrading 9.10.1=>9.10.1-U1 (see errors from "/data/update.failed" below).
Critical alert, but system is running.
Do you recommend to roll back the system onto 9.10.1 or 9.10-STABLE ????

Running migrations for account:
- Migrating forwards to 0024_add_media_user_and_group.
> account:0024_add_media_user_and_group
- Migration 'account:0024_add_media_user_and_group' is marked for no-dry-run.
! Error found during real run of migration! Aborting.

! Since you have a database that does not support running
! schema-altering statements in transactions, we have had
! to leave it in an interim state between migrations.

! You *might* be able to recover with: (migration cannot be dry-run; cannot discover commands)
! The South developers regret this has happened, and would
! like to gently persuade you to consider a slightly
! easier-to-deal-with DBMS (one that supports DDL transactions)
! NOTE: The error which caused the migration to fail is further up.
Error in migration: account:0024_add_media_user_and_group
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/manage.py", line 42, in <module>
execute_from_command_line(sys.argv)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/core/management/__init__.py", line 399, in execute_from_command_line
utility.execute()
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/core/management/__init__.py", line 392, in execute
self.fetch_command(subcommand).run_from_argv(self.argv)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/core/management/base.py", line 242, in run_from_argv
self.execute(*args, **options.__dict__)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/core/management/base.py", line 285, in execute
output = self.handle(*args, **options)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/south/management/commands/migrate.py", line 111, in handle
ignore_ghosts = ignore_ghosts,
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/south/migration/__init__.py", line 220, in migrate_app
success = migrator.migrate_many(target, workplan, database)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/south/migration/migrators.py", line 256, in migrate_many
result = migrator.__class__.migrate_many(migrator, target, migrations, database)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/south/migration/migrators.py", line 331, in migrate_many
result = self.migrate(migration, database)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/south/migration/migrators.py", line 133, in migrate
result = self.run(migration, database)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/south/migration/migrators.py", line 114, in run
return self.run_migration(migration, database)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/south/migration/migrators.py", line 84, in run_migration
migration_function()
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/south/migration/migrators.py", line 60, in <lambda>
return (lambda: direction(orm))
File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/../freenasUI/account/migrations/0024_add_media_user_and_group.py", line 14, in forwards
group.save()
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/base.py", line 545, in save
force_update=force_update, update_fields=update_fields)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/base.py", line 573, in save_base
updated = self._save_table(raw, cls, force_insert, force_update, using, update_fields)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/base.py", line 654, in _save_table
result = self._do_insert(cls._base_manager, using, fields, update_pk, raw)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/base.py", line 687, in _do_insert
using=using, raw=raw)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/manager.py", line 232, in _insert
return insert_query(self.model, objs, fields, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/query.py", line 1514, in insert_query
return query.get_compiler(using=using).execute_sql(return_id)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/sql/compiler.py", line 903, in execute_sql
cursor.execute(sql, params)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/utils.py", line 99, in __exit__
six.reraise(dj_exc_type, dj_exc_value, traceback)
File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/../freenasUI/freeadmin/sqlite3_ha/base.py", line 376, in execute
execute = Database.Cursor.execute(self, query, params)
django.db.utils.IntegrityError: UNIQUE constraint failed: account_bsdgroups.bsdgrp_group

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Status
Not open for further replies.