SOLVED 21.06-BETA OS crash on boot after configuring bridge

briancamp

Cadet
Hi,

I have a machine (specs below) running 21.06-BETA that was running fine, until I configured a network bridge (details below). Now, it will boot to a login prompt as expected / respond to pings on the network, but then ~ 10 seconds later two bold-white init.d-type messages will print to the screen and then poof it will go off the network and the display will go black. Its completely unresponsive until I powercycle, and then the process repeats itself.

I'm pretty sure the issue is related to the network bridge I added just before the issue started. I can reboot into rescue mode OK - is there a way I can nuke the network config from the rescue mode prompt / how would I do that? I tried disabling the NIC in bios and still get the crash. Any other ideas?

Specs:
  • Dell Precision 3431 w/ i5-9600
  • 32GB Non-ECC RAM
  • 1GB M.2 SATA 8X0 EVO boot drive
  • 2x 2TB SATA 8X0 QVO data mirror
  • Intel gigabit NIC
Bridge Issues prior to crash config:

I was trying to setup a network bridge so that a VM I configured could access the host itself. The default macvtap configuration was working fine, but due to limitations it has I could not access the host itself from the VM. I tried setting up the bridge in several configurations from the BUI, but lost network access most of the time. Local / console access would work, but the network was non-functional. The final config I have, which I'm pretty sure is crashing it is:

• on-board intel nic (eno2) configured with no IP address
  • bridge br01 configured with a LAN ip address and eno2 as a member
  • One VM's nic configured to bridge to br01
  • VM set to autostart - I didn't want it to be autostart, but some other issue seems to cause the VM to keep reverting to auto-start.

briancamp

Cadet
I was able to workaround the issue by disabling processor virtualization in the BIOS, booting into Truenas, and then deleting the VM NIC from there. Afterwards I was able to re-enable virtualization and boot without issue. Must have been some conflict between the bridge and virtualization.

Thanks!